Saturday, August 27, 2011

A Summer of Reflection

This summer has been wonderful. A time meeting new friends and connecting with old ones, a beginning of new ventures and the continuation of our family routine. And, for me personally, a time of introspection. A time of self-reflection which if I am honest I really do not like to do, haha. However, for whatever reason I found myself frequently looking into my own motives this summer, was made aware of some character traits which aren't that pretty that I want to change and overall I feel like I know myself a little better after this summer.

I think that some of this self-reflection time came because of my big b-day...I am now 30 years old, and by goodness I do feel as if I am more mature and know more of what I want out of life now. I am sure some of this looking-inward time also came because of some "discussions" that Aaron and I had during the course of the summer. Husbands (and children for that matter) have this unique way of making you see that you're not all you're cracked up to be...IF you allow them to show you...IF you allow yourself to see beyond the pretty exterior you put on for people...IF you allow yourself the possibility to want to change. Otherwise husbands (and children) just make you angry because you think you're in the right and think that they have to change. Obviously we all have areas where we can grow and mature, but often you have to squelch your pride in order to see what areas YOU need to change in. At least that is how it is for me.

Another thing that has helped me is the wonderful book by Ann Voskamp...One Thousand Gifts...I have been reading it slowly, on purpose, because there is so much to gain from it. I don't want to miss what I could learn by reading quickly through it. I am only on chapter 3, and the thing that has stood out so far is learning to live a thankful life. Thanks. We say it a lot, but do we really live out thankful lives? I know that I don't. I'm anxious to see what the rest of the book holds. It's pretty intense, at least for me it is because it is so relevant to my life right now.

Anyhoo, it's been a good summer all around and next week our "fall" schedule starts up more or less. Johnathan starts school at a wonderful little program we found for him so we will officially transition from our carefree summer days to a little more structure. And, the week after Aaron starts work. I think it will be good for all of us to get into more of a routine. I am looking forward to it, and looking forward to all this fall will bring for us!

A few images of our summer...























*Grace*

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed all the pictures!

Blessings,

Amy

Gail said...

Gracie,

What a beautiful post. I enjoyed reading your thoughts on how God has been working in your heart and revealing some things to you. God has a funny way of doing that- it's not always fun at first, but it ends up being exactly what we need (spoken from experience. :)) Love you sister!

Loved all your pictures too!

Hugs,
Gail