Monday, April 21, 2008

The Significance of a Rose

With so many emotions and feelings being stirred over Johnathan's birth, I think perhaps the small gesture by my Dad sums up how I've been feeling. One Red Rose. Without saying a single word my Dad said everything my heart's been feeling. Let me explain...

...When our dear Daniel Cole was born on September 14, 2004, a single White Rose was taped on the outside of the door of the hospital room that I stayed in after his delivery. It was a gentle reminder to the hospital staff that we had lost our child. While other moms had blue and pink ribbons on their doors announcing the joyous arrival of their children, our door boasted not of new life, but of a precious life lost. A week or so after Daniel's death my father presented me with beautiful poem called A White Rose Upon the Door. In the poem he described the emotions of being in the hospital, surrounded by others waiting expectantly for new babies to arrive, and how in the midst of such happiness one room, ours, was clouded by the grief of losing our child. The poem is near and dear to my heart, and was written out of such love from a grieving grandpa.

The day we were discharged from the hospital after Johnathan's birth I made this comment to my momma..."No White Rose for me." What a bittersweet feeling to realize that I was able to take our baby home, happy and healthy, yet at the same time remembering the children that were taken to our True Home, Heaven, before me.

Fast forward to the Friday, a week and a half after Johnathan's birth, when my Dad and sisters, Glenna and Greta came to visit. Dad walked up with a single Red Rose in his hands, and at once all that I'd been feeling was summed up in that single flower. The red blush of the bloom representing the red blood of life that flows in our sweet Johnathan. Never has one flower meant so much to me. So, thank you, Dad. Without saying anything, you said everything. I love you!









4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear sweet Grace,

You will never know how very meaningful these words are to me. Our souls have connected here in a beautiful way. I thank the Lord for His love and for His Spirit that prompted the gift of the red rose. Its beauty is surpassed by yours -- inwardly, especially.

I love you, dear Grace, and I'm so happy for you and Aaron.

Give Johnathan some BIG TIME love from his Grandpa!

Dad

5 Chicks and a Farmer said...

I'm sitting here with big tears in my eyes rejoicing with you! Seriously- the tears are soooo there.

This is truly special and a reminder of God's goodness in the relationships between parent's and their children.

Amen!
Lyns
p.s. Johnathan is beautiful/handsome!

Practically Ava said...

I love all of the new posts and pictures! Johnathan has already changed so much...he's so cute! We enjoyed our visit with you and Aaron and your mom! ( by the way, your mom is such an amazing and sweet woman!) We can't wait to see and hold little Johnathan again!
We love and miss you!
Kayla

Jamye Aldape said...

I remember that white rose on the door and the symbolism it carried for all who looked upon it.

What a wonderful gesture made out of love for your daughter and grandson of the red rose, and the symbolism is undeniable, Ron. We can't wait to see everyone on the 17th.
Jamye/Mom/Nana