Saturday, December 13, 2008

Perks!

Yesterday evening we enjoyed one of the perks of being part of the doctor community...the annual Christmas party! We have received a few invites this holiday season to attend one party or another, and last night we took up the offer to attend the Family Practice "Christmas Jingle Ball" held at the Texas State Aquarium! It was pretty awesome to have the whole aquarium to ourselves, and seeing as it was the Family Practice party, we brought Johnathan along as well, which was a blast for him...he loved looking at all the fish.

There were beautifully decorated tables set up close to various large fish tanks. We ate dinner while watching all the colorful fish swim by. There was even an aquarium guide to answer any questions we had about the fish, and also to tell us interesting facts about the fish we were watching. Dessert and coffee was served in the underwater dolphin viewing area, and again there were nicely decorated tables set up right in front of the huge tank where the 3 aquarium dolphins spend their time. It was beautiful.

After dinner and dessert there was dancing up in the main part of the aquarium. We danced a little, and enjoyed watching some of the other children who were present dance too. (The adults, not so much fun to watch, but the kids were precious!)

***Side note*** During the course of the evening, I had to go nurse Johnathan. I had to go into the ladies restroom and just stand in a stall while feeding him. You have NO IDEA what women will talk about while taking a bathroom break. I heard everything from "Oooh, did you see Dr. ---- come in, he said (blank) to me" to a woman describing the affair she was having! I could not believe it! To top it off, I had finished nursing J., and the affair lady was still talking to her girl friend about all the hassle of sneaking around. I was debating whether or not to step out of the stall and thus embarrass the lady who probably thought it was just her and her friend in the restroom, or to simply wait until they left. I did have a dilemma of my own though. My dress was not nursing friendly, and although I had unzipped it on my own, I couldn't get the zipper back up while holding Johnathan. So, I popped out of the bathroom stall, surprised the two women standing there washing their hands and said "Can one of you hold my baby so I can zip up my dress!" They did so happily (although slightly flushed). My dilemma was solved! I'm pretty sure those ladies left the party right after because I did not see them when we returned to the dancing. I was still in shock over the incident when I walked out of the restroom. Strange and sad indeed.

After the party ended @ 11 we ended up going to IHOP with two other couples and their children. The kiddos slept while we adults enjoyed some more talking, food & coffee...lots of coffee! ;) We got home around 1:30 am, fully satisfied with our first experience of being part of the exclusive medical community.

***Also, I did take a ton of pics, but don't want to post them right now because the outfit that Johnathan was wearing is going to be debuted to many of you in person! Just know that we were all lovely, Johnathan was totally adorable and the hit of the party...seriously, we got probably 100 comments or more on how cute he looked!***

No comments: