Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Trash to Treasure (Blog Hi-jacking from RMD!)

(I wrote this for Ruby Moon Designs...but thought some of y'all might want to read it too!)

I have been inspired by so many wonderful ladies in the blog world that have found amazing treasures while out on thrifting adventures...or they have found them just out of the blue as they're going about daily life. The one thing that I've learned is that you always have to keep an eye open for such trash-to-treasure items. You just never know where you're going to come across an item that can be transformed into something you love. Such as this.......



.......I saw this old wooden window several years ago by someones trash can in the alley........

.......at the time I didn't know what I was going to do with it, but I snatched it up anyways.......

.......and it wasn't until recently that I dug it out of my garage and decided to clean it up a bit........

.......and after a little elbow grease and a lot of love, here it is, proudly displayed on my front porch! And I can't imagine not having it, and I am so glad that I didn't care what people thought as I pulled up next to a pile of "garbage" and took it and put it in the trunk of my car!

I probably wouldn't have even thought of grabbing up some old wooden window if my lovely sister-in-law hadn't given me this for Christmas one year. Isn't this is a creative idea?!! I actually scored an identical wooden window to the one on my front porch, and made a photo collage window frame like this for one of my sisters. (Thanks for the idea, Kayla!)

&

This past weekend while out on a thrifting expedition, I came across this adorable little white chair (beautiful baby boy not included!)........


.......after cleaning it up a bit, it is the perfect spot for my son to read his books. This treasure I had to pay for, but at just $10 I would say that I got a pretty good deal...plus seeing how much my sweet boy loves it makes it worth each and every penny!

So, all of this to say, you never know where your next treasure is going to be. Maybe in a back alley, sadly discarded like yesterday's news paper, or maybe at a local yard sale, ready to get a new home. One man's trash is truly another man's treasure...you just have to keep your eyes open to the possibilities of what can be when you love an item that's been forgotten.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very nice Grace!

Amy

http://goatpod2.wordpress.com